Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  28 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
68197583

My 51 year old daughter and 15 year old granddaughter have

Customer Question

My 51 year old daughter and 15 year old granddaughter have lived with us since 2000. They have never been asked to pay any rent. My granddaughter has been diagnosed with Bi-Polar 1 and Bi-Polar 2 , so her mother cannot work, not knowing when her daughter
will have an episode and how it will affect her surroundings. My daughter helps around the house, tasked with cleaning and cooking since my wife and I are 72 and 74, respectively. She is given money for doing these "chores". Over the past several years my
daughter and her daughter have kept cats in our home, which my wife and I do not agree with. At one time they had about 27 cats downstairs.They now have thirteen cats in the basement, which we paid to have made into four rooms and one garage. Getting rid of
the cats has been a bone of contention. My wife asked her again this morning when she is going to get rid of them and she told her mother they weren't going to get rid of anymore. My wife told her that she would have to move out. We have been more than gracious
with them living here. She said we'd have to give her a 30 day notice. Mom said fine and that I am to make up the notice letter. How does TN Landlord Tenant Law affect my responsibility with these two family members who have never had to pay rent; are given
a car to use and refuse to comply with any of our rules for residing here?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am sorry that you are going through. I couldn't live with one cat let alone 27. Give me one moment to pull up the law as a reference for you and set out the steps to remove them from your home.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks.

Which county are you located in so we can see if you are governed by the Uniform Landlord Tenant Act?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Montgomery County, Tennessee

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, on the phone offer as of now.

I did not send the phone call notification. The site generates them automatically. I do not want you to pay any additional charges. Please ignore the request.

You are in a county that adheres to the Uniform Landlord Tenant Act and treats family (that does not pay rent or house guest that won't leave) as a tenant and does require a 30 day notice. http://www.landlordguidance.com/eviction-notice-forms/tennessee-eviction/

http://www.ehow.com/info_12105665_need-eviction-notice-lease-signed-tennessee.html

Give me a moment to provide you with a form of notice and the procedure.

Thank you for you patience I wanted to provide a free form as well as other sample for you.

30‑DAY TERMINATION NOTICE

TO: _____________________________

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that within 30 days after service of this notice, you must surrender possession of the premises located at ____________________ to the undersigned Landlord,_____________________ , or to the landlord’s authorized agent or attorney.

Your failure to vacate the premises within 30 days will cause the undersigned to initiate legal proceedings against you to recover possession of the premises, and to seek a judgment for damages for each day of occupancy after the expiration date of this notice, including but not limited to any costs associated with any unlawful detention of the premises.

This notice is intended as a 30-day notice terminating your occupancy Dated:_________________ , 20 ____.

_____________________________

I am also including this link for attorneys in the area that provide free consultations in the event you have any difficulty getting her to leave because, unfortunately, you would need to follow the eviction process

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/landlord-tenant/clarksville/tennessee

Eviction process http://www.evictionresources.com/eviction_process_articles/tennessee_eviction_process.html

If you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to let me know. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I may receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.

Please ignore the additional services request.

Was the form helpful?

I wanted to follow up with you to see if you have any additional questions for me? We do not receive credit for our work if the customer does not rate our service positively.