Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

I owned a property in Atlanta, GA which was sold to another

Customer Question

I owned a property in Atlanta, GA which was sold to another party by way of tax lien. The sale took place over two years ago. The city of Atalanta has not cited me for failure to maintain the property. I checked with the county Tax Assessors office and they confirmed that an investor purchased the property. The Tax Assessor's office also indicated that even though ownership has changed, the process of changing the documents to reflect the new ownership has not occurred. Since the property has been sold am I required to maintain the upkeep on the property?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

No, you have no legal responsibility to upkeep property that you no longer own. You are not allowed to be penalized due to the inefficiencies of the government. Once the property was purchased by another investor, that investor becomes responsible for the property. Any citation issued to you as a former owner would be without legal merit and the government would have no legal ability to enforce it against you personally. Their recourse is solely against the property and the new owner.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!