Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

I signed a 12 month lease in July of this year apartment and

Customer Question

I signed a 12 month lease in July of this year for my apartment and it states that I owe $0 every month for utilities such as water, sewer and trash. My landlord is now saying that's a mistake and is telling me I have to pay for these utilities and is trying to get me to sign a new corrected lease. Am I obligated to do either of those things?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

No, you're not. The terms of the lease are binding on both of you. Because plenty of apartment rentals include water, sewer, and trash, there's no way you could be expected to have known it was a mistake. You agreed to pay a certain amount of rent based in part on the representation that water, sewer and trash wouldn't cost anything, and you're allowed to make them uphold that promise. When the lease is up, they can choose not to give you a new lease, to raise the rent, or to change the amount of utilities owed. Until then, they can do none of those things.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.