Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

The sewer line collapsed in a house we sold 13 days after

Customer Question

The sewer line collapsed in a house we sold 13 days after closing. We had no idea sewer line was bad as everything was working fine when we left the house. Are we liable for cost to put in a new sewer line?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 11 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Generally, a seller is only liable for failing to disclose things he/she knew or should have known. Thus, if you didn't know the sewer line was collapsed and you shouldn't have known (meaning there were no signs of a line collapse), the buyer would have a very difficult time holding you responsible for the damages and forcing you to pay for the repairs.

Expert:  Roger replied 11 months ago.

That doesn't mean the buyers won't sue if you don't work something out, but their claim would be difficult to sustain unless there is proof that you had knowledge of the issue.

Expert:  Roger replied 11 months ago.

Also, if the buyer didn't have an inspection done, then it's likely that there's some responsibility on him/her for not taking due care to inspect the house before buying it.