Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My wife has co-ownership of property located in Bogotá,

Customer Question

My wife has co-ownership of property located in Bogotá, Colombia. We live here in the States. Her brother owns the other half. Her brother has been threatening to take the property giving her no compensation. My wife originally bought the property to give her elder sister a home to live in prior to my wife emigrating to the States more than 35 years ago. We have put about $10,000 in repairs on the property and I tried to negotiate a buy of her brother's half a year or so ago but it is clear that he thinks he can swindler her out of the property. Problem is that now her sister is ill and in the hospital and we think her brother will make a move on the property once her sister dies or does not come home from hospital. Another aspect of the problem is that her elder sister has a son who used to live in the house and is now claiming that the house should be his, vis a vis his mom. Neither he, his mother, or my wife's brother ever put any money into the house, though her brother may have paid some taxes over the years. My wife has sent money to her sister on a monthly basis all these years to help her pay for utility bills and basic expenses. We need to protect my wife's investment but can't find any legal help in Bogotá in this area of law. In fact, we haven't been able to get much help at all with related details concerning this property.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Do you have a legal question for me or are you looking for some online sources to find a Real Estate attorney in Bogota, Columbia?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My understanding was that you would be able to advise us on what we can do to protect my wife's ownership portion of the property.

Unfortunately, you would need to contact a local attorney in Columbia for the type of legal advice that you are seeking, as this service is limited to general information.

I will opt-out at no charge to you and wish you the best of luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your honesty.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

New Expert here.

Whose name or names are ***** ***** deed filed at the Registry Office? See

http://www.doingbusiness.org/data/exploreeconomies/colombia/sub/bogotá/topic/registering-property

Does you wife get tax bills on the property?