Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

My landlord is telling me a cop will call m and then contact

Customer Question

My landlord is telling me a cop will call him and then contact me to get my things today and that it is court ordered and nobody can go but me is there a way for me to find out
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Also is this possibly not true. We went to court Friday and he left so it was dismissed I tried to get my stuff and he wouldn't let me and told me I had to wait until today. I don't know what my rights are if any
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 12 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If the case was dismissed, then you were not evicted and you're allowed on the premises any time. The landlord has no right to stop you from entering, and police should not do anything to help him. A landlord may ONLY evict a tenant with a court order.

You could try calling the police yourself and asking for a "civil standby" meaning that an officer would go with you to the property and help you get your things (or require the landlord to let you back in). But if the landlord locked you out without a court order, you could sue him for the costs of having to stay somewhere else over the weekend.