Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

Craigslist scammer gets a set of keys to my house from

Customer Question

Craigslist scammer gets a set of keys to my house from presumably a plumber I hired. Manages to lure two guys to rent my house. They pay him first and last months rent plus security deposit. He gives them a key. They move in and I find out two days later. I call the cops. The cops show up and I get my key back. An open offer was made to arrange a time for them to get what belongings they had in the house. They did not respond. At some point over the weekend a back window was forced open and most of their belongings were taken out. The house was found this way on Monday with the garage door wide open. What is left of their belongings in the house is 1 bed, 1 empty dresser, 1 couch, 1 desk chair, and 1 big cardboard box of trash. My question is what rights, if any, do these two guys, that got scammed, have in regards ***** ***** house, what rights do I have in regards ***** ***** of their belongings, and what legal matters should I be concerned with?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 12 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Loren replied 12 months ago.

They have no rights against you. They are, presumably, victims also. You should let them know that they need to get their property or it will be considered abandoned and disposed of. Give them written notice.

Expert:  Loren replied 12 months ago.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
What must be included in the written notice? The statutes are murky at best. In my mind, I do not consider them tenants but instead trespassers. How long after written notice should I afford them?
Expert:  Loren replied 12 months ago.

The written just needs to say that their personal property left at your premises needs to be retrieved by them within 10 days or you will consider it abandoned. You can put it in storage in their names and let them know where it is. They will have to pay to retrieve it.

Send the notice certified mail.

Expert:  Loren replied 12 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service to you so that I may be credited by JA for assisting you and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.