Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

My lease expired and I am moving my business. The landlord

Customer Question

My lease expired and I am moving my business. The landlord said that all trade fixtures belong to him. I had installed and paid for an air conditioner, a restaurant hood for a kitchen and an ice machine. Does he really own my machines.
My lease expired and I am moving my business. The landlord said that all trade fixtures belong to him even though I paid for and had them installed. An air conditioner a restaurant hood etc.. Specifically I need to know if the ice machine is a trade fixture and the bar sinks. Thank you
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unless your lease states that the fixtures installed by tenant remain, then the tenant may remove any fixtures that they can remove without damaging the property and putting the property back into the same condition it was in at the time they leased the premises. It is dependent on your lease and if your lease is silent on fixtures installed by tenant, then you can take out what you installed as long as you can do so 1) without damaging the premises AND 2) it restores the premises to the same condition it was in when you took the lease.