CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

I'm a landlord who recently obtained a judgment against my

Customer Question

I'm a landlord who recently obtained a judgment against my tenant. How do I go about executing the judgment?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Congratulations on your judgment. You will want to follow this link: https://www.traviscountytx.gov/justices-of-peace/jp1/collecting-judgment for a general overview of the steps to take for judgment collections.

With tenants, in general, collections generally centers on bank levies - where you get a levy against their bank account (basically emptying their account without notice, the debtor then gets a short period to claim exemptions, then all non-exempt money goes to you); and wage garnishment.

Most residential tenants do not own real property or own significant non-exempt personal property (however, look for items such as boats, jet skis, hunting or fishing, golf, or other recreational equipment that you can levy on - basically things that are non-essentials that you can take away in order to encourage the debtor to pay their bill).

See also: http://research.lawyers.com/texas/tx-collecting-the-judgment.html for a good overview.

(Some creditors choose instead to sell their claim at a discount to a debt collector - leaving the collections effort, and the risk, up to a third party. I am not trying to dissuade you from collections, just advising you of an option you may not be aware of.).