socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

How many years can a condo not pay County condo fees in pbc,

Customer Question

How many years can a condo not pay County condo fees for licensing in pbc, fl and other county condominium fees and still remain a condo, also can the president of a condo be an illegal?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

Hello...you asked:

How many years can a condo not pay County condo fees for licensing in pbc, fl and other county condominium fees and still remain a condo,

A: A condominium development cannot be invalidated for failure to pay local taxes/fees. However, the county can file a lien against the condominium, foreclose and ultimately sell the common areas to a third party to satisfy the tax debt. This wouldn't change an individual condo owner's right to own his or her property. But, it could make the common areas subject to the control of a third party, and which would permit the third party to effectively "rent" the common arrears to the condo owners.

also can the president of a condo be an illegal?

A: If the president owns at least one condominium, then he or she can be president. It's up to the condominium board of directors or members to vote the president out of office.

Note: The Florida Constitution contains a provision that permits the government to regulate property ownership of those who are "ineligible" for citizenship. However, this law has not been enforced for at least 60 years, so while it is the law of the State, it could be effectively impossible to use it as a means to legally remove the president from his office, by depriving him of the right to own his property.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!