Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

Own entry- does that mean it's a separate unit? I am

Customer Question

Own entry- does that mean it's a separate unit? I am renting a room in Los Angeles where I also live. It's just me and the renter or roomate in the house. In my "Room for Rent "ad, I noted that "your own entry".....the entry to the house for the renter
is in the back door, There is, of course, a door which give renter access to the entire house (i.e. kitchen, laundry room). Someone told me that if I advertised it as "own entry" that might get me in trouble and fall under L. A. Rent Conntrol (RSO), is that
correct?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Own entry indicates that they have an exclusive means to enter the house. You need to avoid anything that indicates that they have a private entrance to the house. You can state semi-private access through rear door of house. but not "own entry" as that could mean you are renting an apartment and not just a room in the house you are also residing in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh that's not good news for me. However, I just met a retired Los Angeles Bldg and Safety Inspector that same question and he said, it's okay as long as there's access door to the house from the rental room, it cannot be considered a unit. I would think lawyers know the law better than inspector. Am I right because inspectors see what's there but not what was "written", right???
Thank you for your reply.
The issue is that they have to have direct access to the room without going to the rest of the house to be considered a separate apartment. If the access from the rear also allows access to the rest of the home as well, then it is not their "own entrance."
By the way, I notice you have 10 questions open that you have not left positive feedback on, please do not forget to do so as the positive feedback is the only way experts are credited with assisting you since they are not employees of this site.