KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience in real estate law: Foreclosures, Landlord-Tenant, Condo/Coop, Property Law, Deeds, Purchases/Sales, Estates.
8989662

I am a real estate agent, who toured a occupied home. This

Customer Question

I am a real estate agent, who toured a occupied home. This home required permission to access. After the tour, the homeowner claimed I stole some money and jewerly. She reported me to the police and to the real estate commission.
First, what steps do I need to take to protect my real estate license. Second, how do I pursue her for defamation & false accusation?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

This will all hinge on whether the police have declared that you stole something. It sounds like they haven't declared that so you will be fine.

The real estate board is not in the business of "fact finding", so they are not going to investigate whether you did this or not. The only way you can be in trouble is if there is already facts that are clear that you have done this. So without a police report stating this, or a criminal court action where you admitted that you did it or were convicted, there should be no case here. This is what you should argue. Not only that you didn't do it, but also that there has been no evidence whatsoever revealed that indicates that you did it.

Best of luck,

Kim

Hi there,

I need to close out the questions that I answered from last week, so that I get paid for my work. This is my sole means of income. Please go ahead and provide feedback of 4 or 5 so that I can get credit for my work and close out the question.

Thank you!

Kim