CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

What is the accountability of Title Company ??

Customer Question

Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

In most cases where there is an accountability issue, there is a problem with "title insurance" issued by the title company.

If you have purchased property with title insurance, and now you have an adverse claim against that title, but the title company refuses to respond to your claim, you can file what is called a "bad faith" action against the title company to try to get coverage that way (this is a very specific type of breach of contract action, in which you can be awarded additional money damages beyond whatever it costs to cure your title issue if you are successful in proving the title company is wrongly denying your coverage claim). I highly recommend retaining a civil litigation attorney with insurance coverage experience.

You can also contact the Washington State Dept. of Insurance here: http://www.insurance.wa.gov/complaints-and-fraud/file-a-complaint/, it is much less time consuming and costly for you, but it is also not as effective.