Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

What requirements or time period to evict deadbeat family in

Customer Question

What requirements or time period to evict deadbeat family in wa state
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

I am sorry to hear that you are stuck in this situation with them taking advantage of your good nature..

.

If you allowed them to live with you, then legally you are their landlord and they are your tenants under an oral month to month tenancy agreement. In Washington, in order to terminate a month to month, you have to give them each a written 20 day notice to terminate their tenancy, stating on what date the tenancy ends.

.

Then if they don't move out during that 20 days, you can pursue a formal eviction, called an "unlawful detainer", through the local Superior court to get a judgment and writ of possession that the sheriff can execute and physically force them to leave.

.

The clerk sets a hearing date and you are responsible for having the tenant served by the sheriff or constable. At the hearing date, the judge will hear from both sides and then issue an order granting you a judgment and issuing a writ of execution for any delinquent rent and costs including reasonable attorney's fees..

.

After the writ is issued, you can have the sheriff serve it on the tenant 5 days later and forcibly evict them if they haven't vacated. This takes about 3-4 weeks longer depending on the court's and sheriff's schedules.

.

.

thanks