Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I co-own a house with my ex-husband. i want to sell while

Customer Question

i co-own a house with my ex-husband. i want to sell while the market is good. he wants to continue renting the property. i want to sell it now to be done with it and because i am possibly moving out of state with my job and don't want to have to worry about this. how or what can i do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If you want to sell and ex doesn't, and you are both on the deed, then you can force a sale of the property by contacting a local real estate attorney and filing a "partition action" in the local court where a judge will order the property sold. Typically they will order it appraised and then listed with a realtor for a few months and then go to public auction if it doesn't sell privately. That is unless ex wants to buy you out and refinance the loan in his name only..

.

This is an absolute right that can't be denied as you can't be forced to continue owning a property if you want to sell and cash out your interest.

.

.

thanks