How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 35319
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I co-own a house with my ex-husband. i want to sell while

Customer Question

i co-own a house with my ex-husband. i want to sell while the market is good. he wants to continue renting the property. i want to sell it now to be done with it and because i am possibly moving out of state with my job and don't want to have to worry about this. how or what can i do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.


If you want to sell and ex doesn't, and you are both on the deed, then you can force a sale of the property by contacting a local real estate attorney and filing a "partition action" in the local court where a judge will order the property sold. Typically they will order it appraised and then listed with a realtor for a few months and then go to public auction if it doesn't sell privately. That is unless ex wants to buy you out and refinance the loan in his name only..


This is an absolute right that can't be denied as you can't be forced to continue owning a property if you want to sell and cash out your interest.





Related Real Estate Law Questions