Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I'm filing bancrupsy dec 9 I haven't paid my mortgage since

Customer Question

I'm filing bancrupsy dec 9 I haven't paid my mortgage since June . I haven't received any letters from my mortgage companies as of yet. I am currently out of work and the plan is to find a job and move into a rental. My question is how long are you allowed to stay in your condo while foreclosure is going on. I've heard 2 months to 9 months. Can you give me an idea of the time frame you have to stay in your condo. It may take months to find a job. Also I know you have to keep up with your home association fees. Also can the home association kick you out? Thanks
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I hope to answer your question satisfactorily. Lets start with some preliminary questions, what chapter do you plan on filing and why do you say you are filing Dec 9 specifically? Yes, keep paying your HOA fees because that is a personal obligation. The HOA cannot kick you out, but they can foreclose but that takes a very long time and most HOAs will never take that step unless it has been many years.