KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience in real estate law: Foreclosures, Landlord-Tenant, Condo/Coop, Property Law, Deeds, Purchases/Sales, Estates.
8989662

I can go ahead and move on the property then file and

Customer Question

I can go ahead and move on the property then file and affidavit of adverse possession?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am happy to assist you today.

I took a look at your former question. You have a valid legal claim that you should go to court to enforce. You are entitled to your $700 back at a minimum, and you could ask the court to order the transaction to be completed.

In the meantime, if you want to take the risk of moving into the property, you could do so with the knowledge that you could be evicted by the owner before you gain any rights by adverse possession. That will take years, and you don't get that title until AFTER you have taken possession for those years. You wouldn't file anything right now.

So those are your two options. You could do both if you want, but my best advice is to go to court and try to get this done through a court order. It's much cleaner and less risk.

Best of luck,

Kim

Hello, I just want you to know that I am online today, if you have any follow up questions relating to your original question.

If not, please be sure to close out the question with a 4 or 5 rating, which will ensure that I get paid for my work with you and that the system doesn't keep your money.

Take care,

Kim

I just want to make sure that the system doesn't keep your money, which will also ensure that I get credited for my work with you. Please go ahead and close out the question with a 4 or 5 rating.

Best of luck and take care,
Kim

Hi there,

It has been 6 days since I answered your question, and the question is still open. I need to close it out so that I get paid for my work with you. Please go ahead and provide feedback of 4 or 5 so that I can get credit for my work and close out the question.

Thank you!

Kim