Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

A home owner in Indiana is in a nursing home. Her relatives

Customer Question

A home owner in Indiana is in a nursing home. Her relatives are living in her home, rent free. The mortgage is not being paid so foreclosure proceedings are underway.
Is the property of the tenant at risk in the foreclosure?
Thanks you
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Counselor,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of the situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please. I am a licensed attorney with 30 years experience in real estate matters.

1. By "tenant" do you mean the relatives of the owner who is in the nursing home? Are you asking if the home is at risk of foreclosure while the owner is in the nursing home?

In case you would like to discuss this by phone, I will also make a call offer to you, though this is certainly not mandatory----just an option to you.

Doug