Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience
16823287

On July10, 2014, we moved into a house we had used as a

Customer Question

On July10 , 2014, we moved into a house we had used as a rental for 12 years. It is now our primary residence. How long do we have to reside in the house as the prime residence before we can sell it and get the $500,00 exemption from capital gains?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Looking at this for you now....be back shortly...

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

If this home was your residence for at least 24 of the months you owned the home during the 5 years leading up to the date of sale, you meet the residence requirement. The 24 months of residence can fall anywhere within the 5-year period. It doesn't even have to be a single block of time. All you need is a total of 24 months (730 days) of residence during the 5-year period.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.