Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Real Estate Law Mentor
26296561

I leased a commercial building in Tennessee a few months

Customer Question

I leased a commercial building in Tennessee a few months ago. The landlord didn't make the repairs and changes noted in the lease. I would like to cut the tie and just find another place. I have a 3 year lease but feel like they violated it right from the start by not making the changes to the inside that were noted in the lease
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

What is your legal question about this situation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I get out of the 3 year lease without being responsible for the remaining lease payments?

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you make a written demand for repairs / changes to the landlord?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the original lease there was a wall that was suppose to be removed. This was never done. The air conditioning didn't work from day one and they took over a month and a half to finally have it replaced. I have text from the landlord saying basically sorry - she forgot.

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you make a written demand for repairs / changes to the landlord, which was hand delivered or send to the landlord by certified mail, with return receipt for your records and proof of mailing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. We have communicated strictly by text message.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The wall removal was suppose to be done before we moved in. At this point it would be another major ordeal as we have equipment all around it. Just as the a/c having the bathroom and hall a mess for over a month

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, in a similar situation where commercial landlord has failed to make repairs / changes according to the terms of the lease, the first step by the commercial tenant would be to send a written notice / demand letter, and request for the landlord to make agreed upon repairs / changed within reasonable time (usually 10-30 days).

If the landlord fails to comply, then a lawsuit can be filed to enforce the terms or the lease or to have the lease rescinded.

In some cases, if the tenant failed to demand for the repairs changes to be made prior to moving in or within reasonable time from the move in, the court might consider the terms waived by the tenant.

In any case, this can be a complicated legal matter and it would make sense to hire an experienced local real estate attorney to help you resolve this unfortunate situation.

You can find an experienced and skilled local real estate law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:

www.lexmundi.com
www.martindale.com
www.lawyers.com
www.legalmatch.com
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to real estate law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter will be heard.
I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.