Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

My family and I live in the rental home. Our furnace went

Customer Question

My family and I live in the rental home. Our furnace went out on November 17th. Landlord had heating company come on the 19th and they condemned the furnace. Landlord can not get a new furnace install until November 30th. Landlord said to buy space heaters and he will deduct off December rent. Than Landlord says he raising our rent $100 starting in January. Our lease is not up until May. Does he have the right to raise the rent in the middle of the lease?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

He absolutely does not. Your lease is a binding and enforceable document and the landlord is stuck with the rent through the term of the lease. The fact that the furnace went out and he had to replace it is simply a risk that a landlord takes in being a landlord. It's not the tenant's responsibility if the landlord incurs such an expense. Just as you would not, as a tenant, have the right to tell the landlord that you had some unexpected expenses and so you were lowering the rent, neither does the landlord have the right to increase your rent unilaterally.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!