Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  28 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
68197583

In Missouri is their a statue that limits the amount of a

Customer Question

In Missouri is their a statue that limits the amount of a prior years budget to a new tax year and new budget. Our local fire district is keeping about 65% of the current years budget to pad next years budget. Our local firemen don't have proper gear I am a concerned citizen and don't know anywhere else to get answers.

Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

I can understand your concern. Where in Missouri?

The Missouri Statutes that govern Fire Districts is located under

Missouri Revised Statutes

Chapter 321
Fire Protection Districts

http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/ChaptersIndex/chaptIndex321.html

Cities and counties may grant funds to fire protection and library districts, when.

67.250. Any city or county of this state may grant funds of the city or county, regardless of source, for the support of any public library or fire protection district if the library or fire protection district is located within the city or county, or if the city or county is within the district served by the library or fire protection district. Funds so granted by a city or county may be used by the governing body of the library or fire protection district for operational expenses, repairs or replacements, or for capital improvements.

(L. 1975 S.B. 10 § 1)

http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/chapters/chapText067.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this is in Camden county mo

I provided state statutes for you. I will pull up county/local code as well. There are also grant programs and other avenues for funds that I hope the fire district is looking out fit these opportunities. Let me do done research and get back to you. Thank you.

I see there are budget issues and grants as well as donations are being pursued. There is nothing that prohibits the percentage of cuts in the statutes. That being said it may be worth sitting down with the county commissioner for your district. and letting that person know your concerns. This is a link for contact information http://www.camdenmo.org/index.php? While there is nothing illegal with regard to the budget you can be sure that there are other areas that can take cuts as well without impacting safety. It is always law enforcement and fire districts. If takes the voters to make it clear that this is not acceptable. I hope the information I provided was helpful and that you will rate my service positively so o may receive credit for my work. Thank you for using JA