Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I purchased a Condo in Oct. of 2015 with the idea of leasing

Customer Question

I purchased a Condo in Oct. of 2015 with the idea of leasing it. I was fully remodeled. Near the end of October the roofing company hired by the association cracked open my ceiling. They did a crappy job of patching it and told me there was moisture above the ceiling. They got ceiling spray all over my freshly painted wall claiming that the hose to their sprayer broke. Never cleaned the walls and not it is dried on. They also never came back to finish or remove their masking and drop cloths. The association came to assess the damage on Nov. 5, 2015 and agreed that there was water in the ceiling and that the job was done poorly and not finished. They said they would present this to the board and get back to me in a few days. It has been week and after I have made many phone calls, still nothing is done. I have had many people respond to my ads but when they see that room and the ceiling they feel it is a danger to them and their families. This is costing me money for everyday the place is un rented yet the board do not seem to care and nothing has been done. What are my rights and what can I do as I am running out of money and do not want to lose the condo to foreclosure? The moisture problem not being resolved and their closing up the ceiling has me concerned about mold too. Thank you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You have the right to first get an independent contractor out there to examine the work done and write a report addressing all of the issues. Once you have that, you make a written demand to the association, their insurance and the contractor for repairs. If they do not make the repairs in a timely manner, typically 12-14 days, then your next step is you can actually sue the Association AND contractor both, as they are jointly and severally liable for the negligent work and for the costs of you having to bring in your own contractor to make all of the repairs.