WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

When I first entered into this home-purchase contract and

Customer Question

When I first entered into this home-purchase contract and Escrow (back on 07/27/2015) all communications involving ANY change or update regarding the house itself or the purchase terms were channeled through my Real Estate brokerage and sent to me via
electronic email with docusign features. However when it came to "communicating the facts of house being in a flood zone", that communication was NOT sent to me via this same "electronic median". Instead, the sellers had the title company, do a hardcopy mailing
(via UPS) of a binder to me consisting of several hundred pages. On about page 5 of the binder, a box was checked off "yes" that the property was previously declared ina potential flood plain. However the sellers are claiming that even though they did NOT
go through my Real Estate agent,, that that means of communicating (the flood zone) to me was still sufficient and appropriate. Perhaps the method was indeed legally appropriate,, since I did end up signing the UPS slip,, confirming that I did indeed receive
the package.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.

You could argue that it was not reasonable and customary to make the disclosure that way and it was designed to defraud you and you can argue to get out of the transaction on that basis. They should have sent it electronically like all of the other disclosures. you are right and have a valid out of the agreement.

Please rate 4 ort 5 and close out the quesiton. Thanks and good luck.