WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

Im in the military and recently moved to CA. I rented a home

Customer Question

Im in the military and recently moved to CA. I rented a home that turned out to be solar. The property management didn't know the house was a solar home as well. The owner failed to tell the property management company about it. The property management company gave me a list of expenses I would be responsible for. So I called to make sure everything was put in my name. When I called PG&E to have the utilities put in my name I found out it was a solar home. I asked PG&E if there were any additional expenses I had to pay because the house was solar and I was told no. At the signing of the lease the agent said, "I didn't know this house was a solar home." I told her I didn't either until I called PG&E. Two wks later the leasing agent told me the owner called her and said the solar company told her I was responsible for paying a solar bill. My questions is this. Am I responsible for paying a solar bill two weeks after I've signed my lease. The property management co is harassing me about it and is refusing to do any maintenance on the property. Also, the owner had two cats that she abandoned. I was never told about this. There was a pool table that was left at the house. While performing my move-in inspection I found that he top of the pool table has cat hair. I have allergies and don't like pets. I asked the property mgmt. to professionally clean the pool table but the owner said no as she cleaned the pool table herself. I showed the top of the pool table to someone else to see if hey could see the cat hair and they could. Not only that, I have family coming for the Christmas/New Year holidays. My grandson is asthmatic. I want the pool table cleaned before he arrives. Can I get the pool table cleaned and deduct the cost from my rent. Please advise.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.

yes, uinder California law, you can get the pool table cleanded as this is an unlivable situaiton for you. You should also get the solar bill paid and deduct htat from your rent too. Make sure you have proper receipts and send in a copy of the reciept for each along with the balance of your rent and you will be on solid legal grounds.

Good luck to you, and thanks for your military service. Enjoy the holidays. Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you and thanks.