Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I am an attorney in Texas. Texas client received from its

Customer Question

Hello, I am an attorney in Texas. Texas client received from its mortgage a Discharge of Deed to Secure the Debt.
1. The Tax assessor foreclosed on its property tax lien in December of last year, and received a bid of $29,000 which was the highest bidder.
2. The Tax Deed recites that the Unpaid property taxes were for 2012, 2013 and 2014.
3. I believe the property can be redeemed by client before the redemption runs within one year of the Tax Deed.
4. Property is in Dekalb County, Georgia.
If she redeems and pays the actual taxes, will the county return the $29K to the purchaser?
PUrchasor has not made any repairs to the property but wants her to sign a Real Estate PUrchase contract and will pay her $1,000 ernest money to enter the property and assess how much it will take to repair.
Question: Is the redemption period only one year?
What happens to the $29,000 if client pays the outstanding property taxes?
Is my client obligated to pay back to the succes
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under GA law, to redeem a property from tax sale, the payment must be made within 12 months of the sale. You must pay the must pay the tax deed purchaser, the amount paid for the property at tax sale, plus 20% premium for the first year or fraction of a year, plus any taxes paid on the property by the purchaser after the sale, plus any special assessment on the property, and a 10% premium of the amount for each year or fraction of a year, which has elapsed since the date of sale plus costs. See: O.C.G.A.§ 48-4-42.

The purchaser cannot take the full possession deed to the property until 12 months from the sale.