Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I live in a mobile home Park in Bothell,. I have lived here

Customer Question

I live in a mobile home Park in Bothell, Washington. I have lived here for the past 3 years and will start my 4 year January, 2016. I have asked the owner Derick Hudson, and his worker Javier Vagea (I think) to repair the roof on this home, and to fix the wrap around porch that needs much repair. I just turned 70 this past Oct. 2015 and the porch is very dangerous. I have been retired for 4 years and my income is small. I for one can not pay for these repairs. Can you give me any advice on how to let this person that he has to do the repairs done here.??
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If the landlord is not maintaining the property up to code, then you can contact the local Code Enforcement or Housing Inspector and request that they come out and inspect the property. If they find violations, they can cite the owner and force him to make repairs or face daily fines past any deadline and even criminal prosecution for repeated failures to comply.

.

A little less aggressive option would be to send him a written letter certified mail detailing the problems and state that you are unable to wait much longer on repairs to be made and may have to call Code Enforcement for an inspection of the property due to your concerns about its safety. Landlords HATE it when Code is called because they can come out and find lots of violations that have to be fixed. That may "encourage" him to make the repairs so you don't call Code on him.

.

If that doesn't work, then you will have to actually call them and request an inspection.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks