Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

When is the president of a HOA board allowed to act without

Customer Question

When is the president of a HOA board allowed to act without a vote from the board?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The duty that sets the president of an HOA apart from the other board member is the obligation to create an agenda for meetings, the ability to preside over the meetings, and sometimes the power to fill vacancies pending an election. That's it. The president of an HOA has no other special powers or duties unless the bylaws or rules and regulations say so. His vote doesn't count for more than the other board members. He doesn't have any power unless the board granted it to him already. For example, a board could put the president in charge of hiring or firing maintenance staff. But, generally, despite what many people seem to think, the president of the HOA isn't like the king. His powers have to be defined by the by-laws, and he has no ability to take action on his own outside those documents.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.