Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I signed a lease apartment back late August. I was then told

Customer Question

I signed a lease for an apartment back late August. I was then told that I was put on the waiting list and that they would notify me if a room opened up. I did not pay any deposit. The only payment I made was for the application fee. I did not receive any keys. I was then notified by a collections agency that I owe two months worth of rent in October. I was never notified about being put off the waiting list or even paid a deposit. I called and they ended up misspelling my email address therefore I never received any notification. Am I responsible for making the payment or is the lease null and void?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

When does the lease you signed say you're going to be moving into the apartment? Is there anything in that document, anywhere, that says you're only on a waiting list? Did the apartment manager have your phone number or current address where they could reach you?