Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

We had a shower glass door spontenously shatter in the guest

Customer Question

We had a shower glass door spontenously shatter in the guest bathroom we currently rent. I was in the room, but not cleaning the door or touching it at all when it happened. Thankfully my older children were at school and my littlest ones napping. I needed stitches to my hand. The doctor who stitched me up said she has heard of this happening before that some doors were even recalled for this. I am not sure what to do next...Do I contact my landlord and try to find out the maker of the door so I can contact them and the Consumer Product and Safety Commission? Or do I put all of this in the hands of my landlord? My in-laws are landlords back East and suggested that I ask him to pay for my medical bill for the stitches, but I don't see how he would have known this could happen? I'm thankful it was just me and my hand. It could have been so much worse! Any advice I would appreciate.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

You definitely want to talk to the landlord, because he's responsible for replacing the shower door, even if he didn't have any possible way to know that this would happen. That's not something you should have to pay for - but if you don't tell him, he could take the cost out of the security deposit when you move, because he'll think you broke it. Legally, he's only responsible for your medical bills if the facts suggest that he knew or should've known that the door presented a danger to people. If there was a recall and the landlord was notified, then he would have to pay your medical bills, so you may want to do some research to see if this particular door was recalled. If it was, the landlord was probably notified.

The landlord may also be able to tell you who made the door so you can contact them and report what happened. If the door was installed within the past 8 years, the manufacturer could be responsible for your injury under the law of strict products liability.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.