Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I rent a home, my landlord is selling the house. I have been

Customer Question

I rent a home , my landlord is selling the house . I have been her for 3 and a half years . My house has had a lock box on the door since August of this year , i have had realtors bring people to see my home . I have found a house to live in and my rent is paid untill Dec. 1st. now he is keeping part of my 500.00 dollor deposit because i didnt give him a 30 day notice but there is no contract . Can he do this to me i have been a perfect renter .
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If you are not under a written fixed term lease, then you would be considered a month to month tenant and in order to terminate your tenancy in AZ, either party would have to give the other a written 30 day notice to terminate. Ariz. Rev. Stat. Ann. §§ 33-1375. A tenant is still responsible for the rent during this 30 day period.

.

So if you didn't give the landlord a 30 day written notice that you were moving, he can legally hold you liable for up to one additional month's rent..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks