RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

In 2009 my boyfriend and I purchased a house together. Both

Customer Question

In 2009 my boyfriend and I purchased a house together. Both names on the mortgage. We then got engaged in 2012. Then in 2013 he called off the engagement and we split up. I could not afford the mortgage and bills myself so I left the house. During the 4 1/2 years that I lived there I paid half of the mortgage. We renovated the entire home, which I paid half of. including a new room and adding a deck. My question is what am I "entitled" to as far as money?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If you are both on title, then you would each have a 50% shared ownership interest in it. As such, if it were to be sold, the profits would be shared equally, absent any other agreement that is in place and less any costs associated with doing so. Seeing how costs were shared, based upon what you shared above, it would further support the right to receive 50% in the proceeds.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!