Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I am being charged within my rent for $13,000 worth of

Customer Question

I am being charged within my rent for $13,000 worth of renovations, however; the apartment improvements were significantly less, how do I go about proving and disputing rent overcharge?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me:

1) Does your lease contain anything about renovations? If so, does it allow the landlord to charge you for renovations?

2) Are you on a verbal or written lease? If written, when does it end

3) OR DO YOU MEAN YOU HAVE ALREADY MOVED OUT, and the landlord is overcharging what was required to bring the property back to its original state?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The apartment was vacated in May of 2014, I signed the lease in August 2014 and moved in 9/3/14. The improvements were listed as Individual Apartment Improvements on the Lease Rider and added into the cost of the rent. The building is rent stabilized, thus the IPA ($218 per month) was added in addition to the 20% increase ($932) and the $190 longevity cost.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Has the landlord filed suit, or, they just sent a bill at this time?