Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

I sold my home 5/23/14 (18) months ago and have just

Customer Question

I sold my home 5/23/14 (18) months ago and have just received an attorney letter 11/14/15 advising I am being sued by the purchaser stating a hidden defect as a result of enclosing a screened 9X12 lanie with acrylic windows. This I had done with a local contractor and to my knowledge he did not pull a permit as he did not believe one was neccessary for this type of job. Buyer had a home inspection done and passed same without issue. Their attorney asking for $10,000.00 in repairs and legal fees as they claim they were deceived. Do they have a case?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Although you can never prevent someone from suing you, based on your facts your buyer is not likely to prevail in any suit. You are only required to disclose material issues you know or should know about. You would have no knowledge this posed an issue. This was not a latent issue that could not have been discovered; rather, if this was an issue, it could have and should have been addressed by the buyer's inspection company. If the buyer has any claim, it would be against their inspection company, not you. In my experience, this is simply a letter intended to intimidate you into paying for something for which you have no liability.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!