Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My daughter and son in law, rent a home. They paid their

Customer Question

My daughter and son in law, rent a home. They paid their rent for November and all the rent since moving in May 1st 2015. This past Tuesday their main water line broke, they reported this to their landlord, who first blamed it on them, saying they ran it over with a lawn mover. then took a day and a half to fix it. Not by a licensed plumber. So they had no water for two nights, they have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. Yesterday, two days later he posted a 3 day eviction notice on their door, saying they owe him 235.00 in late fees. Is this eviction legal? This man is very unreasonable, and I do worry about their safety.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So to be entirely clear, they have not been late on rent? Do they pay with checks (or other form of payment where they can verify when it was paid)? And does the written lease specify that a late fee could be due if the rent is late?

Did you see my follow up question to your issue?

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

I see that you have not responded. Do you wish to continue with this question?

This question is still open. Do you wish to continue with it?