Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I'm looking into a house on a private lake to buy/ lease.

Customer Question

Hello my name is Ron.
I'm looking into a house on a private lake to buy/ lease. It's set up in a way that you buy the house and lease the land. I was givin a copy of the survey for the property in question. It seems to me that there are restricted usage lines within the tax map lines for each lot that have been altered by the owner in the lease contract. I don't have an issue with that. My issue is that I would be paying the taxes directly to the state on the lot. If I'm paying all the taxes on all of such lot, is it legal for the owner to put in such restrictions to the property lines? It seems to me that if if such restrictions are in place that the owner should be paying the tax on the areas of the lot, if not the whole lot, not usable by me. Is it legal for the owner to impose such restrictions to a lot I'd be paying all the taxes on?
Plz advise
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Ron. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Can you provide me a bit more information? Is your agreement set up like a triple net lease where the agreement simply states you pay the taxes on the leased property? Or, is the agreement more specific as to your obligation for the taxes? Could you attach a copy of the specific provision? Thank you!