Can an HOA
request a tenant (condo owner) to take out a loan to finance the replacement of decks within the property?
1) Of 60 units, approximately 1/3 have structurally defective decks.
2) HOA states replacement of those decks will cost $600-750,000.
3) HOA does not have the money to pay for the decks.
4) HOA will not take out a loan to pay for the project.
5) HOA sent notice that the replacement cost, per owner, is to be $8-11,000.
6) HOA stated funds will be required prior to project beginning.
7) HOA stated tenants, if tenants do not have the money, take out a loan (home equity
for example) to provide the money to the HOA.
Is it legal for an HOA to require tenants to pay for structurally deficient parts of the property, which said HOA has stated tenants are not allowed to work on or replace (to include exterior doors and windows)?