MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

What can you do when a buyer defaults on a land contract?

Customer Question

Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I just sent you follow up information to my prior answer. I am not sure if we have a Michigan real estate specialist on the panel, so I'll opt out of this question in case we do.

Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. My name is***** am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

When a buyer defaults on a contract for the purchase of land, you have a few options (most of which are determined by the contract). They are:

1. The buyer may forfeit the deposit that is in escrow if he did not cancel the contract within the cancellation period.

2. You can sue the buyer for any damages/losses you may have incurred in relation to the contract (for example, if you expended any money in assisting the buyer in completing his due diligence).

3. You can sue for specific performance asking the court to enforce the contract and obligate the buyer to purchase the property.

4. There may be a liquidated damages clause or cancellation fee clause in the contract where the buyer would have to pay you a flat fee for breaching the contract.

Those would pretty much be your options without me looking at the contract.