Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

My board is having a meeting next week sole purpose of

Customer Question

My board is having a meeting next week for the sole purpose of discussing the 2016 budget, according to the memo sent by e-mail. I asked to be placed on the agenda to discuss:
1. Budget HOA and assessments
2. Increasing the board from 3 to 5.
I received word that the sole purpose of the meeting was budget and members could comment on that, only.
Am I not allowed to discuss this and other issues given proper notice?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to answering your question.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Do your bylaws contain any provision for members adding to the agenda?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not researched this and need to read them, again. I was of the understanding (from being on previous boards ) that anyone can be on the agenda if asked within a reasonable time prior to the board meeting.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

It would need to be specified in the bylaws. Otherwise, you would need to call a special,meeting if you have enough other members to join in the notice for special meeting.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If not then the board would have to agree, at their discretion, to add the other issues to their budget agenda.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.