LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

In Santa CA, I just signed a 12 month lease renting 1

Customer Question

In Santa Barbara CA, I just signed a 12 month lease renting 1 bedroom from a prop mgmt. company. I want to consider buying a mobile home for less monthly output. What cost to me for breaking a 12 month LEASE here? -Rhodes
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Rhodes,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You may simply tell the landlord that you have changed your mind and that you are leaving early. It is not a crime to break a lease contract. The landlord has a legal obligation to mitigate their damages, and will be required to re-rent the unit as soon as possible. You will only be legally responsible for the lost rent until a new tenant moves in---which could be almost immediately---especially if you give the landlord 30 days or more notice that you will be leaving so he has the chance to get the residence rented long before you even leave. This is effective in many situations like yours, and can allow you to effectively break the lease and owe little or nothing.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug