Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

I am a homeowner in Irvington ny. I believe the sewer

Customer Question

I am a homeowner in Irvington ny. I believe the sewer belongs to my property or is private . A neighbor way up the street wants to hook onto my sewer and I don't want it! Feel it will overload my system and will tare up the entire front of my property as well . How do I deal with this I am not upgrading my system and don't want hookups onto my system!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. If you believe that the property is private, then a cease and desist letter (preferably from an attorney) threatening to sue the neighbor for negligence per se, nuisance, and civil trespass may be in order. The letter can threaten punitive damages and attorney fees as well. Doing this may have the neighbor think twice before going on one's private property. Such a letter is normally not too costly to do via an attorney.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!