Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

I have had my home on the market months. I have received

Customer Question

I have had my home on the market for several months. I have received feedback (in writing) from potential buyers saying they love the property and home but the HOA/neighborhood issues are the problem. I pay my POA dues and maintain my property but due to lack of the HOA to enforce the restrictions, it has cost me 2 sales of my property. At this time, based on this issue and lack of HOA enforecement, they have caused damages to the sale of my home. Is there any thing I can do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry, but not really. There is no way to force individuals to form an HOA, and no government agency on a state level exists in Texas to "take control" of non-functional HOAs. So there is no way to force an HOA, and no one to really hold "at fault."

Now, if you wish to split from the HOA, you'd have to file a lawsuit in Court, and show the Court that there has been a significant change in the neighborhood that warrants voiding/modifying the covenants of the deed that bind the property to the HOA. However, the HOA being non-functional does not fall under this prerequisite, so the argument would be very weak.

As such, I am afraid that there is little that can be done here. I am sorry.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in other words, my hands are essentially tied? I feel there are damages due to lack of the enforcement that has cause me the inability to sell my home. Based on this criteria, I will just have to deal with the lack of HOA participation and take a loss on my home, if I can sell it at all?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Basically, yes. Unless you feel that you can successfully challenge the covenant to void the HOA-binding clause (upon the fact that the neighborhood has changed), there is really no other option. I am sorry.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!