Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

This is a continuation of my previous question regarding

Customer Question

This is a continuation of my previous question regarding lein or levy by the State of California Board of Equalization. I have purchased a small home in Colorado as a 1/3 owner with my Son In Law and Daughter. I am considering doing a Quit Claim Deed to
sign the house completly over to them because of any potential leins from the California State Board. If I do so will that prevent them from being able to attach any kind of lein on the home since I am not on the title. (I am included in the Mortgage papers).
Please let me know. In addition, my employer (a California company) has received a Levy on my wages from the State Board. I am planning on contesting this. Will they hold off on the Levy to reach a verdict on the contesting?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome back to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

Yes if you are able to quit claim it prior to the lien being recorded in your county. From what you present you are not on title so a quit claim would protect it from the creditor completely.
If the lien has been recorded it goes with the title here.So check to see if the lien has been recorded in the real property records of your county.

As far as the levy of wages if you timely file a contest it should put a hold on it and allow you a debtor hearing on the issue.

Forms and self help to do that.

http://saclaw.org/wp-content/uploads/sbs-claim-of-exemption-bank-levy.pdf

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.