Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I have some multifamily properties, in the unincorporated

Customer Question

I have some multifamily properties, in the unincorporated area of Los Angeles (Non-Rent Control) I am requiring all tenants to procure renters insurance. The problem I am having, is that I implemented this rule for only 1 property, which contains 5 units. And for the pass 6 months, 2 of the 5 units havent been paying their insurance on time. I would receive letters from their insurance company, stating that they had cancelled their policy. I require that the tenants either obtain renters insurance, through my carrier, or if they choose to go with their own carrier, they must add me on as an additional insurer. But the problem is, it takes a lot of my time, trying to call and text the tenants, to remind them to contact their insurance carrier, to pay the premiums. So for my other properties, I had done a modified change of terms, and I would like an attorney's opinion, whether my change or terms is legal or not? I included a clause that if I have to serve them a 30day notice, it will be a $150.00 fee. I am hoping this fee, will eliminate the headaches that is causing me.
(TENANTS) TO_______________________________
The tenant(s) who is in possession of the premises located at: ________________________
You are hereby notifed, in accordance with Civil Code Section 827, that 30 days after service upon you of this notice, your tenancy of the above designated premises will be changed as follows:
INSURANCE
Tenant must maintain a renters insurance policy to cover any losses sustained to tenant’s personal property, and must maintain vehicle insurance. It is acknowledge that the landlord does not maintain this insurance to cover personal property damage or loss caused by fire, theft, rain, water overflow/leakage, acts of GOD, and/or other cause. It is acknowledge that the tenant’s insurance policy shall solely indemnify tenant for any losses sustained. If the tenant’s renters insurance policy is cancelled for any reason, including non-payment, a 3-Day Notice will be served to the tenant. The 3-Day Notice service fee is $150. If renters insurance is not paid within three days after receiving the notice, than eviction proceedings will begin.
Date:_________
Landlord/Agent___________
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you attempting to change the terms of written leases before they expire?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?