Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I am a property owner in Louisiana. My property is fenced

Customer Question

I am a property owner in Louisiana. My property is fenced in, its entirety. Drive way is gated as well with visible lock. I went outside to retrieve an item from my car and saw a man attempting to open my drive way gate. I asked him "I could help him?" He answered "Yes." I asked "How can I help You?" He said, "I am here to inspect your septic system."
My question is, Can a person representing the state just show up and enter private property without notice and more so attempt entry when it is obvious to the average person the property has safeguards to prevent accidental or otherwise force to entry safeguards? FYI , my neighbor across the street was the subject of entry for the same inspection and she was unaware of this man's entry to here unlocked but yet obviously fenced and gated backyard. She became aware only to this individual because she heard a noise in her backyard. I am alarmed by the invasion. No attempt to notify prior to inspection and no attempt to communicate during the invasive entry concerning my neighbor's property. I have several very large dogs that roam at will on my property if I had not had a lock on my gate the inspector would have been harmed. My neighbor luckily does not have the dogs I have.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Did you question the actions of this inspector and if you did, what was his response / position?