Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

The house I rent has foundation problems, the house also has

Customer Question

the house I rent has foundation problems, the house also has water leaks and electrical problems the window do not open and the land lord will not fix the problem, He will send different men that look like thieves to inspect the problem I am talking about the person will tell me they will be back and never do then when I ask again, land lord will send another guy and the same thing the last time he sent someone and they replaced toilet and never came back to fix water leak in tub when I told him again several days later I got a letter upping my rent $25. so now I'm afraid to ask to get anything fixed and The house is moving and some elect is not working and water still leaking and now I have pink, black, and green mold in bathroom and one of the rooms the cracks in house is so bad can't close doors. this house should be torn down not lived in, I am disabled and so are my sons and my boyfriend and this is getting us sick. what can I do paying rent on time even with the increase. I get ck on 3rd and I pay with money order same day my water and elect are crazy one I pay around $ 600 in those two bills my water is as much as the elect because of water leak.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. You have the right to terminate your tenancy and receive a full refund of your deposit. Also, you have the right to a refund of a portion of your prior rent due to the fact you have not received the full benefit of your rental bargain. The applicable Texas statute that provides you this right is the following:

TEX PR. CODE ANN. § 92.056 : Texas Statutes - Section 92.056: LANDLORD LIABILITY AND TENANT REMEDIES; NOTICE AND TIME FOR REPAIR

47 2873

(a) A landlord's liability under this section is subject to Section 92.052(b) regarding conditions that are caused by a tenant and Section 92.054 regarding conditions that are insured casualties.

(b) A landlord is liable to a tenant as provided by this subchapter if:

(1) the tenant has given the landlord notice to repair or remedy a condition by giving that notice to the person to whom or to the place where the tenant's rent is normally paid;

(2) the condition materially affects the physical health or safety of an ordinary tenant;

(3) the tenant has given the landlord a subsequent written notice to repair or remedy the condition after a reasonable time to repair or remedy the condition following the notice given under Subdivision (1) or the tenant has given the notice under Subdivision (1) by sending that notice by certified mail, return receipt requested, or by registered mail;

(4) the landlord has had a reasonable time to repair or remedy the condition after the landlord received the tenant's notice under Subdivision (1) and, if applicable, the tenant's subsequent notice under Subdivision (3);

(5) the landlord has not made a diligent effort to repair or remedy the condition after the landlord received the tenant's notice under Subdivision (1) and, if applicable, the tenant's notice under Subdivision (3); and

(6) the tenant was not delinquent in the payment of rent at the time any notice required by this subsection was given.

(c) For purposes of Subsection (b)(4) or (5), a landlord is considered to have received the tenant's notice when the landlord or the landlord's agent or employee has actually received the notice or when the United States Postal Service has attempted to deliver the notice to the landlord.

(d) For purposes of Subsection (b)(3) or (4), in determining whether a period of time is a reasonable time to repair or remedy a condition, there is a rebuttable presumption that seven days is a reasonable time. To rebut that presumption, the date on which the landlord received the tenant's notice, the severity and nature of the condition, and the reasonable availability of materials and labor and of utilities from a utility company must be considered.

(e) Except as provided in Subsection (f), a tenant to whom a landlord is liable under Subsection (b) of this section may:

(1) terminate the lease;

(2) have the condition repaired or remedied according to Section 92.0561;

(3) deduct from the tenant's rent, without necessity of judicial action, the cost of the repair or remedy according to Section 92.0561; and

(4) obtain judicial remedies according to Section 92.0563.

(f) A tenant who elects to terminate the lease under Subsection (e) is:

(1) entitled to a pro rata refund of rent from the date of termination or the date the tenant moves out, whichever is later;

(2) entitled to deduct the tenant's security deposit from the tenant's rent without necessity of lawsuit or obtain a refund of the tenant's security deposit according to law; and

(3) not entitled to the other repair and deduct remedies under Section 92.0561 or the judicial remedies under Subdivisions (1) and (2) of Subsection (a) of Section 92.0563.

(g) A lease must contain language in underlined or bold print that informs the tenant of the remedies available under this section and Section 92.0561.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!