Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

In California, is my current wife responsible property/home

Customer Question

In California, is my current wife responsible for a property/home that I singularly bought prior to our marriage and could a foreclosure/short sale on that property affect her credit in anyway?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

is my current wife responsible for a property/home that I singularly bought prior to our marriage and could a foreclosure/short sale on that property affect her credit in anyway?

.

No, any debt that you brought into the marriage is your separate debt and doesn't become your spouse's simply because you marry after incurring it. She would have to sign a contract agreeing to be responsible in order for the creditor to hold her liable.

.

And no, since this debt is tied to your SSN, it wouldn't affect her credit at all since she has no legal obligation to repay it...

.

.

thanks