socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

Can a DPOA refuse homeowners insurance even with the

Customer Question

Can a DPOA refuse homeowners insurance even with the knowledge of a close call involving a fire incident that damaged a neighboring home less than 3 ft. Away?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

Under California law, a durable power of attorney (DPOA) does not require the agent to take any affirmative action. See Cal. Probate Code Section 4230.

The above-cited law effectively immunizes an agent from liability for failing to take action concerning a principal's property. This would include failing to purchase homeowners insurance.

I realize that my answer may not be exactly what you were hoping to read. However, under the circumstances, the best that I can do is to explain what the law is and is not, so that you can avoid expending valuable resources looking for answers that do not exist, and concentrate on the options that are actually available.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!