Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

In the development I live in we have a homeowners

Customer Question

In the development I live in we have a homeowners association that spells out the obligations of the owners. The development is a PUD and we cannot pay for all of the different that the association may be responsible for. We cannot get any board members or officers. Only 8 out of 29 are owners and the rest are rentals by investors. Can we bank
bankrupt the association and transfer all common areas to owners?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm licensed in Tennessee. I'll be glad to assist.

It is possible to bankrupt and disband the HOA , but it would likely require a vote by all property owners in the HOA electing to disband and bankrupt the association.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

It's probably a good idea to have a look at the bylaws to see if there's a dissolution process that must be followed.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If there is no process in place, you should consider hiring s lawyer help dissolve the HOA. You'll need one anyway if the association is going to file bankruptcy.