LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

A year later an old tenant is trying to gain entrance to a

Customer Question

A year later an old tenant is trying to gain entrance to a property which since has been rented to a new tenant. The old tenant had a home inspection done by a professional now she wants to disturb the current tenant in an attempt to find evidence of problems in the property. What existed a year ago was then. What exists now is now.
I do not want this old tenant enter to the property.
What rights do I have to block them?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Quite simply the old tenant no longer has a right to be on the property and is a criminal trespasser. The police need to be called to arrest this trespasser.

They may only come onto the property to do inspections with a court order, or in the even that you are in a lawsuit with them and they demand the discovery right of inspection---which I presume is not the case.

You will need the backing of your tenant as they have the legal right to allow the old tenant in and on the property---but if you can get the present tenant to agree with you, you can entirely prevent the old tenant from stepping foot on your property.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug